What is it and where can I get it?
Sky Map is a virtual reality star map for Android devices. Point your phone at the sky and it will show you the names of the stars, planets and other celestial objects that you can see.
You can download Sky Map from the Google Play Store.
Frequently Asked Questions
Isn't this a Google App?
It was, but not any more. A team of engineers in Google's Pittsburgh office launched Google Sky Map in 2009. In 2012 we open sourced it and it ceased to be developed by Google. It's currently developed by the same engineers, but on a volunteer basis and not on behalf of Google.
Do I need an internet connection?
No, but some functions (like entering your location manually) won't work without one. You'll have to use the GPS or enter a latitude and longitude instead.
Can I help test the latest features?
Sure! Join our beta testing program and get the latest version.
Is it free?
Yes. No charge. No ads.
Why are these pages so terrible?
See previous question. We're working on it.
The Map doesn't move/points in the wrong place
- Make sure you haven't switched into manual mode.
- Does your phone have a compass? If not, Sky Map cannot tell your orientation. Look it up here.
- Try calibrating your compass by moving it in a figure of 8 motion or as described here.
- Are there any magnets or metal nearby that might interfere with the compass?
- Is your device in a case? Some cases contain magnets to keep the cover closed.
- Try switching off "magnetic correction" (in settings) and see if that is more accurate.
Why is autolocation not supported for my phone?
In Android 6 the way permissions work has changed. You need to enable the location permission setting for Sky Map as described here.
The Map is jittery
Firstly, try the new experimental gyro mode (go to settings). If that doesn't work for you, try playing with the sensor speed and damping under settings/sensor settings and see if you can find a good combination.
Support or Contact
Having trouble? Email us and we’ll try to help. Bear in mind we're volunteers though and we get a lot of mail!